- The school must apply in writing to the THIMUN office with documentation and prospectus of the school and conference. This should include a letter of support from the principal/head of the school requesting the affiliation. This request should reach the THIMUN office at least 10 months before the dates of the conference to be evaluated.
- Once an affiliation visit is considered, THIMUN must receive copies of all documentation related to the MUN Conference, e.g. mailings. handbooks reports etc.
- Upon a positive evaluation of the request and the supporting documents, THIMUN will designate an assessor/evaluator. This can be a THIMUN Board member, an Advisory Board member or other trusted THIMUN advisor.
- Unless the designated evaluator is attending the Conference as a participant, the Conference requesting the affiliation must pay the travel/accommodation expenses of the assessor and, therefore, need to budget for this.
- Evaluation reports will be returned to the THIMUN office as soon as possible.
- The THIMUN Board will discuss the report and inform the evaluator and the school requesting the affiliation of their decision as soon as feasible. The decision and a copy of the evaluation report will be sent to the Conference organisers.
- In the event of criticisms or a negative evaluation, a discussion will take place with the organisers with a view of making the necessary improvements. These improvements and recommendations must be put into practice by the conference following the evaluation in order to be considered for affiliation at a future date.
The above procedure applies equally to new MUN Conferences requesting affiliation as to existing affiliated conferences that need be re-assessed after a certain period of time.
- THIMUN-affiliated MUNs must give written credit to THIMUN in their mailings, statements to media and all other documentation; this also applies to web sites: a link to the THIMUN website must be included on the front page of the web site of the THIMUN-affiliated MUN
- Full acknowledgement must be given, with the source clearly stated, for the use of any THIMUN materials
- Affiliated conferences are responsible for providing updated information
MUN affiliated Conferences must be re-evaluated and accredited on a regular basis, approximately every five years. The frequency of the re-evaluation lies within the discretion of the THIMUN Board. The same requirements apply as for a new affiliation.